cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FR urgent help

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

gusy i was seeing config of one of the routers and i was shocked to see something which didnt make any scence to me just wanted to share it with you so that someone can correct me.....

there are three sites connected to a main site......A,B,C no subinterfaces are configured

the config on router a was (i m putting dif IP)

router A ip address 192.168.1.1

no frame-relay inverse arp

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 dlci 20 broadcast(20 is local)

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.1 dlci 20

al i wanna know is why we are mapping out dlci with out own interface....is it right or wrong???can someone please tell me as i m going nuts....thanks for looking guys

2 Replies 2

hardiklodhia
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

a static layer 3 to layer 2 protocol mapping is defined

through the frame-relay map [protocol] [protocol_address] [dlci] [broadcast]

interface command.Also since native broadcast and multicast transmission is not supported on an NBMA media the broadcast keyword instructs the router to send both broadcast

and multicast traffic out the DLCI as a replicated unicast.

In ur case i suppose dlci 20 is assigned for connecting main site. in this case 1.2 ip is mapped with dlci 20 and 1.1 is ur own interface ip which is even mapped with dlci 20 bcoz might they want to enable ping on that interface.by default u cant ping ur own interface ip in FR.

if i misunderstod ur scenario then plz correct me.

joemhemail
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk237/technologies_tech_note09186a008014f8a7.shtml#pingyourself

Hi, what he said.

You need the mapping to your own interface so you can ping your own interface.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco