cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIPV2 Questions

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

guys i have two questions about few config if someone can help me out......

if my interface is connected to another router interface (say a f ethernet) and ip address of that is 192.168.1.1 now if i want to disable summarization on interface the command is no auto summary

now if i put passive interface default (what does that do) secondly there is a neigbour command in ripv2? what does that do if i type neibour 192.168.1.1 (which is ip of my connected otehr router interface) what will that do.....guys i m v new to rip your help is needed...thanks

3 Replies 3

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

1. passive-interface default

This will set all interfaces as passive by default.In RIP , passive interface means no routing updates will be sent on this interface.Then if you don't want a interface as passive , you need to go under that interface and use "no passive-interface"

2.neighbor

This command permits the point-to-point (nonbroadcast) exchange of routing information. When it is

used in combination with the passive-interface router configuration command, routing information can

be exchanged between a subset of routers and access servers on a LAN.

Multiple neighbor commands can be used to specify additional neighbors or peers.

It is of more use in LAN. Where , you have defined your only LAN interface of router as passive , but you want to update routing information to a router, which lies on same ethernet segment.

So even if you have defined fastethernet as passive , you will still be able to exchange routing information with 192.168.1.1

It is like making an exception for selected router in a subset of routers..

HTH..rate if helpful..

Hello Satish and Khan,

the no passive interface has to be given under router rip as the passive interface default

also the no auto-summary command is given in router rip context

neighbor

combined with passive interface instructs the router to send out its update as a unicast to the configured ip address(es) instead of using the 224.0.0.10 destination (RIPv2 multicast address).

Because RIPv2 misses a neighbor state machine two devices can exchange updates one sending unicast packets and the other multicast packets.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi Giuseppe ,

Myself was wrong in first point & you were precise in second point.

Thanks You..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card