cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIPV2 Questions

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

guys i have two questions about few config if someone can help me out......

if my interface is connected to another router interface (say a f ethernet) and ip address of that is 192.168.1.1 now if i want to disable summarization on interface the command is no auto summary

now if i put passive interface default (what does that do) secondly there is a neigbour command in ripv2? what does that do if i type neibour 192.168.1.1 (which is ip of my connected otehr router interface) what will that do.....guys i m v new to rip your help is needed...thanks

3 Replies 3

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

1. passive-interface default

This will set all interfaces as passive by default.In RIP , passive interface means no routing updates will be sent on this interface.Then if you don't want a interface as passive , you need to go under that interface and use "no passive-interface"

2.neighbor

This command permits the point-to-point (nonbroadcast) exchange of routing information. When it is

used in combination with the passive-interface router configuration command, routing information can

be exchanged between a subset of routers and access servers on a LAN.

Multiple neighbor commands can be used to specify additional neighbors or peers.

It is of more use in LAN. Where , you have defined your only LAN interface of router as passive , but you want to update routing information to a router, which lies on same ethernet segment.

So even if you have defined fastethernet as passive , you will still be able to exchange routing information with 192.168.1.1

It is like making an exception for selected router in a subset of routers..

HTH..rate if helpful..

Hello Satish and Khan,

the no passive interface has to be given under router rip as the passive interface default

also the no auto-summary command is given in router rip context

neighbor

combined with passive interface instructs the router to send out its update as a unicast to the configured ip address(es) instead of using the 224.0.0.10 destination (RIPv2 multicast address).

Because RIPv2 misses a neighbor state machine two devices can exchange updates one sending unicast packets and the other multicast packets.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi Giuseppe ,

Myself was wrong in first point & you were precise in second point.

Thanks You..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco