Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSAN's Segmented

Hi,

Will there be any problems to amy production environment if a VSAN is segmented?are there any drawbacks of this behaviour?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, if the VSANs are enabled across the ISL, and there is nothing to keep them from merging, then they will no longer be segmented once the ISL comes up. Things that would prevent a successful merge are a domain ID conflict. IE: both switches are coded to have the same static domain ID for the VSAN....also...a Zoneset merge failure. This would be caused by each side having the same Zone name, but not the exact same zone members.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Its not recommended to run with segmented VSANs as normal process. First of all, Fabric Manager will show an error condition and you will see the segmented VSAN 2 times in the left hand column. This can lead to confusion from a management point of view. IE: There will be 2 zonesets for the segmented VSAN, so you will have to manage them independently. If you modify the zoneset on VSAN 100-a it will have no impact on VSAN 100-b (if segmented). Operationally running them segmented should not pose a problem for each of the independent segments.

true,the problem i suspect for this behaviour is that i recently hooked up a new switch and created vsan's on them but did not activate the ISL's between the core-edge..Somehow the vsan's got propagated w/o the ISL's being activiated..I guess once i enable the ISL's it will resolve the segmented vsan problem

Yes, if the VSANs are enabled across the ISL, and there is nothing to keep them from merging, then they will no longer be segmented once the ISL comes up. Things that would prevent a successful merge are a domain ID conflict. IE: both switches are coded to have the same static domain ID for the VSAN....also...a Zoneset merge failure. This would be caused by each side having the same Zone name, but not the exact same zone members.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: