cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Hello's

mbroberson1
Level 3
Level 3

In performing a packet capture to troubleshoot a network issue, I noticed the EIGRP Hello's are spaced roughly 4 to 5 seconds a-part (in wireshark (seconds since previous captured packet)). It seemd a little high too me. See attachment.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Brandon,

this is a wanted feature to avoid synchronization effects so hellos are not sent exactly every 5 seconds but a random timer is used.

This is because the DUAL specifications expects to process one packet at a time.

When the EIGRP hello is received the hold timer is resetted.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Brandon

I am curious why you would think that they were a bit high. For most media the default timer for EIGRP hello messages is 5 seconds. The timers are configurable and can be changed. Is there a reason why you would not want them this frequently?

Guiseppe makes a good point why they are not on precise intervals for transmission.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I have obviously forgotten the full DUAL process. I was comparing this capture to a "old past capture" and hello's seemed a little different. I think I got confused on the "time since previous packet captured" just seemed a little high. You can really just disregard the post. Sorry for my mess.

Thanks,

Brandon

Brandon

No problem. The forum is a good place to explore things like that. Sometimes comparing results of a current capture to results of an old capture can show things that seem different but may not be really significant.

Good luck in getting the issue resolved that caused the current capture.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card