CCIE Voice vs CCNA Voice

Unanswered Question
Sep 25th, 2008

Hi,

I'm an expert in digita toshiba systems, but have not had any hands on with voip systems yet. Is it typically recommended to start with CCNA and then CCNA Voice cert. or is it possible to shoot for CCIE Voice right away?

It just seems that in order to get CCNA Voice, i have to take 2 tests (CCNA and CCNA Voice) while to get CCIE Voice i have to take one test. Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jcrussell Thu, 09/25/2008 - 11:52

Those 2 are worlds apart. Besides, it takes two tests to earn the CCIE Voice. The written and the lab must be passed to earn the CCIE. And I haven't taken them, but I would wager the CCNA Voice is a tad easier than the CCIE. ;)

I would go CCNA -> CCNA Voice -> CCVP -> CCIE Voice.

jim_berlow Thu, 09/25/2008 - 17:46

The typical progression is CCNA -> CCNA Voice -> CCVP -> then CCIE Voice. Don't kid yourself - if you have no hands-on experience with voip systems then the CCIE is not the right place to start. Plus, if you look closely you will see that the CCIE requires both a written test ($300) and a lab test administered on-site at Cisco ($1400 + cost of travel expenses). Most experienced engineers do not pass the lab on the first attempt, either (some even take the lab 8-10 times) - so multiply that figure a couple times....

I HIGHLY recommend that if you are starting out with little hands-on experience that you start at the beginning with the CCNA. At least you will have something to show for your hard-earned money.

Regards,

Jim

Richard Burts Thu, 09/25/2008 - 19:43

Dmitry

While I essentially agree with the advice from James and from Jim, I will take a slightly different approach in answering your question. I would distinguish between what you COULD do and what you SHOULD do.

You COULD go straight for the CCIE without doing the CCNA. The CCNA is not required to get the CCIE. (and I passed my CCIE without doing CCNA - but that was when the CCNA was in its infancy - if I had to do it over again I would do the CCNA first).

I believe that you SHOULD do CCNA before CCIE. As James and Jim have pointed out going straight for the CCIE is a mighty big step. It makes much better sense to go first for the CCNA since what you learn there is the beginning step of what you need to learn for CCIE.

HTH

Rick

Actions

This Discussion