cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP UDP codec decoding

mbroberson1
Level 3
Level 3

Is there a way to verify the codec that's encapsulated in a udp packet if you are performing a capture on the ingress of a router or switch port?

Thanks,

Brandon

5 Replies 5

ecarabias
Level 1
Level 1

You can use the Ethereal or Wireshark applications for decode the RTP packets and see the codec.

Wireshark is really nice

Make sure to uncheck the boxes for Enable MAC name resolution and Enable transport name resolution

Hi

Well - as suggested the Wireshark community is probably a better place to start...

That said... try:

1) Make sure that you have identified the two streams as RTP. Wireshark doesn't see stuff as RTP initially, so you have to click a packet from each stream direction and set 'Decode As... ' to RTP.

2) When you do Telephone/RTP/Show All Streams you should see a stream for each direction, then click on one and hit analyse...

3) If it won't export 'both' directions, try one direction.. if that works then you haven't marked both streams as RTP, or there's another problem.

Would suggest posting your capture here or at wireshark in that case.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

to fix my problem,

i had to Make sure to uncheck the boxes for Enable MAC name resolution and Enable transport name resolution.

without that I was not able to save the payload to an audio file

thanks

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wireshark questions should go to Wireshark community.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: