4507R Oversubscribed linecards

Unanswered Question
Sep 25th, 2008
User Badges:

Hi All,

We have a 4507R with redundant Sup 2+. We also have WS-X4424-GB-RJ45 line cards for our servers, these line cards are oversubscribed 4:1 with a total of 6Gbps available for the card. We are just wondering if there is a way in which to monitor the oversubscribed port utilisation (ie the 4 ports that share the 1Gbps)

We currently are at port capacity and need to have utilisation statistics before deciding to move to a 6K platform. SNMP would be the preferred option for tracking. I would imagine there might be MIBS available?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Prashanth Krishnappa Fri, 09/26/2008 - 06:11
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Chris

Few things I would monitor to see if you are seeing any oversubscription is

1)Increasing input drops and output drops on a regular basis. This can be collected using show interfaces

2)In the following output, Rx-No-Pkt-Buff, flow control is something I would watch for as well. But keep in mind these will increment when there are traffic bursts even in non-oversubscribed cards.

4507-1# show interface GigabitEtherent 4/7 counters detail

Port Rx-No-Pkt-Buff RxPauseFrames TxPauseFrames PauseFramesDrop

Gi4/7 1956 35648 4854 0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfd6.shtml#Rx-No

I am sure there are MIBs to poll all these. But as a best practice, its always recommended to use non-oversubscribed ports for server farms. The oversubscribed cards are primarily designed for bursty traffic deployments such as gigabit to desktop

Actions

This Discussion