cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re: Q on Configuring an Access_Switch ...

InternetB
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My question is that I am setting up a 3750 access switch. My management vlan is vlan 1 and I have one data vlan which is vlan 2. The default-gateway is the interface vlan ip of vlan 2

which is created on the distribution router.

Here is the config for this basic setup :-

-----------------------------------------3750 Access Switch

vlan 1

name Mgmt_Vlan

!

vlan 2

name Data_Vlan

!

!

int Vlan1

description *** Management Vlan ***

ip add 139.200.1.40 255.255.255.0

!

!

ip default-gateway 139.200.2.251 <<<<<<<<

-----------------------------------------

My question is would the above setup okay or do I need to change it to the ip of the interface vlan 1 on the distribution router ?

It should work but I would just like to double confirm this simple setup.

Thank you,

Cheers,

- InternetB -

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It should be the router address for vlan 1 . If using a default gateway make sure routing is turned off on the 3750 .

Hello Glen,

[1] Thank you for the post. The reason that the 3750 needs its gateway pointing to the interface of vlan 1 is because the SVI on the 3750 is on vlan 1/ same IP subnet ?

Just want to understand the logic.

Thank you,

Cheers,

- InternetB -

"The reason that the 3750 needs its gateway pointing to the interface of vlan 1 is because the SVI on the 3750 is on vlan 1/ same IP subnet ? "

Yes because the 3750 is only acting as a L2 device you can only have vlan interface in use and that should be for management. So this vlan 1 interface is used purely to gain access to the switch and not for any user data. The default-gateway is needed so you can remotely telnet into the switch.

Note as a side issue Cisco recommends using a vlan other than vlan 1 for managing your switches. It's not vital so don't worry, it's just best practice.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card