Helpful
Replies

Error when copying switch config from flash to running config

veesanka
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 configs stored in the flash.

when i try to move from config1 to config 2 I get the folloeing error message:

Command rejected: Gi1/0/17 not a switching port.

Command rejected: Gi1/0/17 not a switching port.

These are the gi1/0/17 from both configs:

config 1:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/17

no switchport

ip address 10.10.200.1 255.255.255.0

ip policy route-map cca1

config 2:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/17

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 650

switchport mode trunk

end

Is there a workaround to load config 2.

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

I feel the switch is still treating the port as L3 port instead of L2 to permit the config lines realted to trunk.

Can you try adding switchport mode trunk in the begining of the config command instead of encapsulation to start with ?

Also try using switchport command to make that as L2 port to accept the L2 related commands.

regds

Hi,

the problem got solved..If I copy the config to startup config and reboot the switch, the problem does not arise.The error occurs when I copy to the running config

Yes, and that is because copying running confing means that you are reconfiguring over the already configured device (and, for example, once interface is configured as L3 interface it will not accept L2 commands).

Copying configuration to startup configuration and rebooting on the other hand means that you will apply configuration to an uncofigured device (right after reboot, device is unconfigured).

I hope it helps.

Best regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: