cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CNA through SSH solved...

patrick.radish
Level 1
Level 1

I have searched forever for this and found nothing... I posted on here asking how to do it and one person replied and said it can't be done... I have found other posts asking and they claimed the same thing. I have 2 networks with 2 seperate hubs that do NOT have a tunnel to each other. So this can be quite the pain to drive to certain sites that are on one network or the other to troubleshoot or configure swx's...

This will be done using putty...

Open putty and type in the IP or hostname of your router that supports SSH or whatever it is that you set it up on. Leave the port on the default 22.

Then go to Connection > SSH > Tunnels. I always just use port 8001. So type in 8001 into source port and then type the swx IP into the destination field along with port 80. Example of what this should look like is 10.10.10.10:80. Make sure Local and Auto are selected. Then click the Add button. What you should read in the box is "L8001 10.10.10.10:80" That's using my example of course. Yours will not look like this except for maybe the L8001 and the :80 at the end of your ssh client IP.

Now click open at the bottom and log in. Once logged in open CNA. Now instead of typing in the IP of the remote swx... you will type in localhost. Then click options. Then leave the protocol set to http but change the port to 8001 or whatever port you set the source port to in putty.

Click ok and you have now accomplished what was thought to be impossible... CNA a remote via SSH...

1 Reply 1

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

One way to do this might be to have a host running SSH on the remote PIX site's LAN. We could then SSH to the host and then telnet to the firewall router via the local LAN. Another way might be to SSH to the remote host and have a async connection to the console port on the router you want to administer. This would secure the data path via SSH across the LAN/WAN and provide physical security to the router.

Cisco Network Assistant is a PC-based network management application that manages standalone devices and clusters of devices from anywhere in your intranet. It is optimized for LANs of small and medium-sized businesses with up to 250 users. It supports a wide range of Cisco Catalyst Intelligent switches from Cisco Catalyst 2950 through Cisco Catalyst 4506. Through its graphical user interface (GUI), Cisco Network Assistant manages many of the switch critical functions and allows the user to launch the device manager of Cisco Systems access routers and wireless access points.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: