cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIP-SSM20 Event Store

cmyip
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone know is there a way to retrieve/backup the events in the AIP-SSM20 event store ?

I had read through their manual/white paper, but it didn't mention anything about retrieving/backing up the event store except on how to clear it.

Thanks.

CMYip

6 Replies 6

suschoud
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The IDS Sensor can not archive the signature events for a long time as they have a fixed memory space in order to store the signature events, which is overwritten when full. But, these events can be stored to an external management system such as CiscoWorks VPN/Security Management Solution (VMS), Cisco Security Monitoring, Analysis and Response System (CS-MARS), or IDS Event Viewer (IEV).

Refer to Cisco Downloads in order to download the IDS Event Viewer.

Do rate helpful posts.

Regards,

Sushil

suscoud is right. Cisco has shrunk the event store as they have moved from hard disk based sensors to flash based with less storage. You have to get your events off the sensor or you will loose them. In addition to the methods suscoud mentioned above you also use SNMP if you set the action on each active signature you want to alert to send an SNMP Trap when they fire. This does not send as much information as an SDEE feed to VMS/CS-MARS/IEV.

There is also the IEV successor called Cisco IME (IPS Manager Express), which can manage up to 5 IPS devices and also can pull and store events.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ips-ime

Thanks for all the reply. I'm using the IME now, but i don't see any option saving the store events to hard disk.

I will try out the IDS Event Viewer later. I read that it had a archive feature that can store the event to hard disk.

Will let you guy know the result later.

CMYip

Does anyone know how to retrieve the archived data? I upgraded from IEV to IME but need to track down the old data for a PCI audit. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone?? Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card