Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple ap manager interfaces on AIR-WLC4402-50-K9 don't work

Hi,

we use the above wlc and connected its ethernet ports each on a separate lan switch. At the moment only port 2 is connected because of cabling maintenance work.

To assure function of the wlc I mapped the ap manager interface to port 2.

After that I configured a second ap manager interface for future use (when port 1 link will be re-established again) and mapped it to port 1; I used the configuration guide at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.2/configuration/guide/c42mint.html#wp1121574.

To test ap manager 2 interface I exchanged the port mapping with ap manager 1 interface.

After that all APs were disconnected and did not reconnect. Also after a reboot of the wlc no AP reconnected.

So I changed the port mapping back and after that all the APs reconnected again.

So it seems that there is a problem when I map the new created ap manager 2 interface to the active port 2.

Does somebody know a possibility to troubleshoot this scenario?

Are there any cli or debug commands which give more detailed information about the failure? If there is cco documentation concerning this it would be fine if you could send me the url.

Further on, does anybody know where I can see in the gui or via cli which AP is connected to which ap manager interface?

Many thanks in advance,

Thorsten

2 Replies 2

jwadleigh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Thorsten -

Why are you trying to configure two AP manager interfaces? I have been working with Cisco 4400's for quite some time and I have never seen a scenario where it is required.

Perhaps I can be of some assistance if I better understood what you were trying to accomplish.

Thanks!

- Jay

Hi Jay,

as I read in the following documents the ap manager interface cannot be mapped to a backup port. So if there is a failure of the primary link the ap manager interface will go down and the wlc cannot be reached by any ap. To prevent this you can add a second ap manager interface which is mapped to the second physical port of the wlc. So the wlc will be able to reach the aps also if the primary link goes down.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.2/configuration/guide/c42mint.html#wp1117288

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.2/configuration/guide/c42mint.html#wp1121574

Furthermore, one physical wlc port can only handle 48 APs, so if you want to use all 50 connections of our wlc model, you have to use 2 ap manager interfaces and bind each to one of the 2 physical ports.

I hope that helps, please correct me if my understanding of the mentioned documents is wrong.

Best Regards,

Thorsten Steffen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card