Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks User Tracking Utility (UTU) vs UTlite

I do not control the domain controllers within our domain. Our network is on a separate segment and I manage our Cisco network. Can I use UTU instead of UTlite to view users on my segment? I can not afford Zen Works. I am working with Server 2003 at the domain level and we have a Novell server at our lever for authentication.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

UTU and UTLite are two very different things. UTU is a Windows task bar utility which allows you to quickly search for end hosts by properties such as username, MAC address, and IP address. The utility works by making a connection back to the Campus Manager server, and pulling the data from the UT database.

UTLite, on the other hand, is a background daemon which is designed to run on all Windows end hosts. While the user is logged in, UTLite sends periodic updates which contain the user's name and the client's MAC and IP addresses. This is the means by which UT learns the usernames from Windows end hosts.

UTU cannot perform the tasks of UTLite and UTLite cannot perform the tasks of UTU. Without UTLite running on each end host, you will not get usernames automatically populated in UT unless you have LMS 3.0 or higher, and are using 802.1x in your network.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

UTU and UTLite are two very different things. UTU is a Windows task bar utility which allows you to quickly search for end hosts by properties such as username, MAC address, and IP address. The utility works by making a connection back to the Campus Manager server, and pulling the data from the UT database.

UTLite, on the other hand, is a background daemon which is designed to run on all Windows end hosts. While the user is logged in, UTLite sends periodic updates which contain the user's name and the client's MAC and IP addresses. This is the means by which UT learns the usernames from Windows end hosts.

UTU cannot perform the tasks of UTLite and UTLite cannot perform the tasks of UTU. Without UTLite running on each end host, you will not get usernames automatically populated in UT unless you have LMS 3.0 or higher, and are using 802.1x in your network.