Views
Helpful
Replies

configure vlan

mohamedsafeer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

i got a cisco 3560 and few 2960 cisco switches. All 2960 are connected to 3560 on uplink ports.I have problem creating vlans on 2960. I made 3560 as VTP mode server. the all other 2960 switches as VTP mode client. the domain name also mentioned the same. When i create VLANs on the 3560,, its is not available in the 2960 switches. Trunk is been enabled on both the switches and dot1q is used as encapsulation.

Sh vtp status / sh int trunk all looks fine..

on 3960 sh vlan has default vlan, vlan0002 vlan0003 and on 2960 sh vlan has only the default vlan.

Unable to identify the problem; any suggestions kindly share.

regards

ram prabu

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Safeer,

vtp domain name is case sensitive, Can you check and ensure it is configured correctly ? as it is very easy to make mistake.

issue "show vtp status" on each switch and compare the configuration.

next thing is create a new vlan in 3560 as fixing the domian name does not always update, you can force for vlan database to be updated across the domian by creatinga vlan on the vtp server and then delete this vlan which is not required.

if you still have a problem the please show us the output of "show vtp status" and "show vtp counters" . as well as the inter-connecting interface configuration from each switch.

pls do let us know in all cases.

Hope this helps

Shaheen

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mfreijser
Level 1
Level 1

Do the VTP passwords on all the switches match? You can check this by using the 'sh vtp password' command.

Here's a good document on how to configure and check VTP configuration:

http://www.petri.co.il/csc_setup_a_vtp_on_cisco_switches.htm

Regards,

Michael

hi michael,

no vtp passwords been configured,,

rgds

Hi Safeer,

vtp domain name is case sensitive, Can you check and ensure it is configured correctly ? as it is very easy to make mistake.

issue "show vtp status" on each switch and compare the configuration.

next thing is create a new vlan in 3560 as fixing the domian name does not always update, you can force for vlan database to be updated across the domian by creatinga vlan on the vtp server and then delete this vlan which is not required.

if you still have a problem the please show us the output of "show vtp status" and "show vtp counters" . as well as the inter-connecting interface configuration from each switch.

pls do let us know in all cases.

Hope this helps

Shaheen

hi shaheen,

thanks for your wonderful advise.. i just tried before reading ur reply.. it worked well.... is that a bug? once i create a new vlan as u have mentioned all the client switches got the VLANS from the server switch.. my queston now is when ever i add a switch should i need to create a dummy vlan to make sync??

any how thanks again for your advise..hats of to u,.. even industry proffessionals couldnt identify the issue and we guys managed....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card