Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 - Access Lists

thestagman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to find out how I can configure a "MAC Access-list" to allow only HP Devices through a switch port.

I have never used this feature before and cannot seem to find any examples of how to do it ..

Can anyone help ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To be honest I have never tried to block only part of a MAC address, but I suppose it's possible.

I would try something like:-

mac access-list ext filtermac

permit host 001b.38FF.FFFF any

As the f = broadcast = does not matter, try it out on a non-production switch port with a test HP NIC on it?

HTH>

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

thestagman
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry this is beinf done on Cisco 2960 & 3750 switches.

cheers

Mike,

I would config something like:-

permit host 0000.0000.0001 any

permit host 0000.0000.0002 any

permit host 0000.0000.0003 any

HTH>

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the reply. But I need to allow any HP device only and block the rest.

permit host 001b.38xx.xxxx any

Something like above. I'm unsure of the syntax or if it can be done ?

To be honest I have never tried to block only part of a MAC address, but I suppose it's possible.

I would try something like:-

permit host 001b.38FF.FFFF any

As the f = broadcast = does not matter, try it out on a non-production switch port with a test HP NIC on it?

HTH>

Hi

I have just tried that with no luck using a Dell Laptop. I have also tried it with zeroes as well with no luck.

mac access-list extended DELLONLY

permit host 0015.c5ff.ffff any

If I specify the full mac address it works no problem.. But I need to find a way to only allow HP Laptops which will mean wildcarding out a portion of the mac address ..

OK - then I would turn logging on a debugging and see what is going on, and refine the ACL that way?

HTH>

Hello Andrew

For some strange reason, it has decided to work. But I do not know why ... I just started a constant ping and up it came ...

However, it has caused another issue and that is from time to time the pings fail for about 30 packets and then resume ...

I would check the following:-

1) Spanningtree

2) Does the server have dual NIC's?

3) If answer to question 2 is yes - check teaming config

HTH>

I only have a single switch for this testing. Spanning Tree is set to rapid, portfast is enabled and the laptop I'm using only has one connection.

The loss of packets has not occured for sometime now ... ..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: