cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCCP GRE Redirection multiple hops

Patrick Murphy
Level 1
Level 1

When using GRE redirection and negotiated return, is it possible to place the WAEs on a segment that is not directly attached to the routers? I have seen some documentation state, "It allows the WCCP clients to be separate from the router via multiple hops. With WAAS, the WAEs need to be connected directly to a tertiary or sub-interface of the router." This has left me a little confused, but seems like it is possible with new code. If it is possible, is there any possibility on looping occuring? I assume there isn't since the packets are tunneled to and from the routers which would bypass the inspection. This would also allow me to take advantage of WAAS over a high-speed/low latency link to a datacenter that does not physically have WAEs deployed.

Any input is much appreciated,

Patrick

2 Replies 2

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Patrick,

You are correct, the WAE with negotiated return can be multiple L3 hops away from the router (back in your DC). However for performance, of course it's recommended to be as close as possible. With the return traffic using GRE, the traffic is not being re-intercepted.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks for the confirmation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: