CMTS Specialty training available?

Answered Question
Sep 29th, 2008
User Badges:

Hello!

I've been working at this ISP for quite awhile, and have somehow managed to become the local "expert" on dealing with our CMTS/CNR installation. While I can deal with day-to-day maintenance of the system, the fine details of UBR configuration (advanced spectrum, dynamic channel change as example) have been elusive to locate. The Cisco Tech Notes are helpful to a degree, but without a background in the odd niche the CMTS occupies, most CCNs shrug their shoulders at my questions and tell me to TAC it.

What recommendations do you have for specialized training in the care, upkeep and recovery of CMTS-based networking?

Correct Answer by dbeare about 8 years 5 months ago

I'd check out Global Knowledge, www.globalknowledge.com and try their ICCR Plus class. I just took it last month and thought it was pretty good. It's a combo of the intro and advanced class, so the first part of the week is a good immersion in DOCSIS, and the rest of the week focuses on more in-depth configuration and troubleshooting.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
dbeare Tue, 09/30/2008 - 05:09
User Badges:

I'd check out Global Knowledge, www.globalknowledge.com and try their ICCR Plus class. I just took it last month and thought it was pretty good. It's a combo of the intro and advanced class, so the first part of the week is a good immersion in DOCSIS, and the rest of the week focuses on more in-depth configuration and troubleshooting.

johnny777 Tue, 10/07/2008 - 10:37
User Badges:

I was also looking in to cmts training. Are there any certifications geared towards cmts training? Will you get a cert from the ICCR course? Are there any other courses around? Thanks

BowserTBB Mon, 12/15/2008 - 09:42
User Badges:

The course mentioned by "dbeare" is great for getting a handle on what/why the CMTS acts the way it does, and I'll second the recommendation.

It does not confer a certification by itself. I suspect the complete ICCR course would do so, check with the course provider.

Actions

This Discussion