6.0.1 ready for large scale deployment?

Unanswered Question

I have a 210 we are in the process of migrating to, at the end of the migration we will have 700 or so 2800 IOS firewalls. We are half way through the process and already MARS is having CPU issues, although I think this may be bug related. Is 6.0.1 ready for a large scale deployment and heavy load? Im hoping this may bring the cpu down a little but I do not want to introduce other issues.


  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
gdix Mon, 09/29/2008 - 13:15
User Badges:

In my experience, it has proved best to delay production deployment of a new major version of network device software until the third published minor release (whether it be Cisco or another vendor.) Thus, I am running 4.3.6 for the time being.

mhellman Wed, 10/08/2008 - 06:47
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

I also agree. At a minimum, I would recommend waiting until the next minor release.

Farrukh Haroon Thu, 10/09/2008 - 00:00
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Same here, waiting for the next minor release.



pmccubbin Sat, 10/11/2008 - 05:58
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Thanks for the confirmation.

I was just asked this question and told my customer the same thing.

A "5" from NYC for each confirmation.

Keep up the good work!


mhellman Mon, 10/13/2008 - 05:28
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

there are times when we've also applied upgrades a little more quickly than normal because the version was supposed to address a specific issue. There's nothing wrong with that. In the case of a major version upgrade though, you might be better off with the "devil you know" ;-)

mdreelan Wed, 10/15/2008 - 13:47
User Badges:

I did an upgrade this week (via cli and ftp) for A CSMARS-50 with about 20 ISR routers all with AIM-IPS-K9's, and 8 ASA's 5510's, and 5505's, and a CSA-MC 6.0, a CMS 3.2.1 sp1 , and a few 2003 AD servers running snare and have had no issues so far.

hoffa2000 Mon, 10/20/2008 - 02:56
User Badges:

I ended up doing a clean install of a MARS50, originally 4.3.6, and still have problems with graphgen shutting down.

I have no support on my MARS 50 so I'm stuck waiting for a possible future upgrade beyond 6.0.1. It's odd that the same ISO install gives different results on the same hardware. MARS in not exactly an "appliance" like a PIX but still...ISO based installations should produce identical installations



This Discussion