Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling SNMPv3 on 2960 and LMS2.6

grodr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to enable SNMPv3 on a Cisco2960 and LMS2.6. On the URL: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps2425/prod_white_paper0900aecd805441cd.pdf

it is mentioned there that I need to create a view. The syntax is "snmp-server view campus oid-tree included"

How do I determine the oid-tree?

Also, I do not need to configure additional items on the ACS right?

Thank you in advance.

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Actually, unless you want to filter out certain OIDs, you should use the built-in v1default view:

snmp-server group v2group v3 auth write v1default

This will grant your group access to all the objects community string-based SNMP would.

Since this is a switch, you will also need to enable SNMPv3 contexts so that Campus Manager can poll VLAN data. Run "show snmp context", then add a line such as the following for each context:

snmp-server group v3group v3 auth context CONTEXT

Thank you for this info. The LMS recognized the 2960 switch.

If I would be implementing this to the core switch "show snmp context" would be equivalent to what command?

I have the following:

C6509E#show snmp ?

mib

engineID show local and remote SNMP engine IDs

group show SNMPv3 groups

pending snmp manager pending requests

sessions snmp manager sessions

user show SNMPv3 users

| Output modifiers

6509E.221#

Would this be equivalent to the MIB?

The code running on this switch does not support SNMPv3 contexts. You need to upgrade to recent 12.2(18)SFX code ( or later).

Aside from the unsupported context on this 6500 switch, do we have any alternative parameter to use in lieu of context?

Main goal is to move away from SNMPv1 and proceed with v3.

Thanks again

No. If your code/device does not support SNMPv3 contexts, then you will have to stick with v1/v2c in order for Campus Manager to be able to fully manage the device. Upgrades are available for all switches that support SNMPv3 except the 2950 series. Those switches will never support SNMPv3 contexts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: