cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS TE: Non revertive FRR implementation

javiercastro
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following issue regarding a Fastreroute link protection implementation using IOS XR.

The desired network behavior is that once a link failure is fixed the protected traffic keeps flowing through the backup path until it is manually switched to the primary path.

I have been advised that this behavior can be achieved using a second path option under the primary tunnel configuration, actually it should be a dynamic path. Something like this:

interface tunnel-te100

ipv4 unnumbered Loopback0

signalled-bandwidth 5000000

destination X.X.X.X

fast-reroute

path-option 1 explicit name primary_path

path-option 10 dynamic

!

Does anybody knows if configuring the last command (path-option 10 dynamic) would affect the default FRR behavior? (making it like non revertive)

2 Replies 2

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello!

You are using IOS XR, and I haven't had the chance to work with it, so I don't know the behavior. I can tell you what is the behavior with my config under regular IOS:

interface Tunnel21

ip unnumbered Loopback0

tunnel destination 172.30.32.1

tunnel mode mpls traffic-eng

tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce

tunnel mpls traffic-eng fast-reroute

tunnel mpls traffic-eng priority 2 2

tunnel mpls traffic-eng bandwidth 158

tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 1 explicit name low-klu

tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 10 dynamic

When the explicit path fails, the dynamic one is follow up. After the explicit path recover, the traffic is taking the primary path.

Sorry if this is not what you expected!

Cheers,

Calin

Then, the same configuration I am want to use on IOS XR doesn't behave the way I want on IOS. Is there any chance this behavior could be different using IOS XR??

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: