Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Taking a switch out of a stack....question

How do I take a switch out of a stack?

Also, if i take it out of stack, will everything on the network be operational still? Even on the switch I removed? Its a master switch too!

HELP!!!

3 Replies 3

craig.eyre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've used this document before and it explains the steps well.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

HTH

Craig

Craig,

Thank you so much! It sounds like what i needed.... So when i take out this switch from the stack, will everything still work the same?

Hi,

Yes it will still remain operational as long as you have the stacking cables fully connected. If you are removing the MASTER it will re-elect a new master switch. Go to the section called "Stackwise Ports, Cables, and Connection Types" in the previous document I linked you to for cabling verification.

Complete these steps to remove a member from the stack:

1.Make sure that the stack is fully connected so that, when you remove the member, the stack will be at least in half connectivity, and do not partition.

2.Power off the member to be removed.

3.If the member was the stack master, the stack master election will occur, otherwise no election will occur.

4.Remove the StackWise cables from the member and close the stack ring.

5.Issue the command show switch to verify the stack membership.

HTH

Craig

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco