Views
Helpful
Replies

Ground Lug for Cat 6500

new_networker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need some assistance on ground lug connectivity to the CAT6500.

I understand that one end of the unshielded cable in inserted into the ground lug. But where is the other end of the cable connected. I am assuming the cable required for ground lug is not provided in the CAT6500 shipment box.

Regards.

5 Replies 5

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

1.Grounding Lug is Supplied as part of accessory kit along with 6500 switch.

2.Grounding wire is not supplied as part of accessory kit along with 6500 switch.

3.The grounding wire should be sized according to local and national installation requirements

4.Depending on the power supply and system, a 12 AWG to 6 AWG copper conductor is required for U.S. installations. Commercially available 6 AWG wire is recommended

5.The other end will be connected to appropriate grounding point, like if your rack is grounded properly you can connect other end of grounding wire to rack.Rack in turn must have grounded to either other rack or Datacenter common grounding point.Data center grounding point would be grounded to your building or premises common ground point.

HTH..rate if helpful..

Could you please explain how would the other end be connected to the rack. Is it to be stripped or just tied around the rack post etc.

Also, is the mentioned tool an RJ-45 crimping tool or something else. What type of crimping tool is it.

Regards.

Hi,

1.The crimping tool is either like sort of cutter, using which you can remove the insulation of grounding wire.

2.Once you remove the insulation you can either fix it using a ring & screw to the rack or you can just tie it to rack.

HTH..rate if helpful..

With regards to the crimping tool, other than wire stripping I believe it is also to be used to crimp the ground lug to the 6-guage wire.

The ground lug is tough metal so I was wondering what crimping tool can do that (not RJ-45).

Please suggest.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card