Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing on ACE Modules

new_networker
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

Is it possible to load balance VIP hits on two ACE Modules in an active/active configuration. Or is it that only per FT group only single context could be active.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Within a single context, only 1 ACE can be active.

However, different contexts could be active on ACE-1 and other contexts active on ACE-2.

The ACE module offers 16 Gig of BW.

You would need active-active only if you get close to this limit.

Is that your case ?

Gilles.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Within a single context, only 1 ACE can be active.

However, different contexts could be active on ACE-1 and other contexts active on ACE-2.

The ACE module offers 16 Gig of BW.

Is that your case ?

Gilles.

That's not my case. I don't need 16Gbps of BW.

So in other words, the same context cannot have active members on both the modules. Please confirm.

Could you also please explain more on

Unquote.

If I have reached 16Gbps, then how would have multiple contexts help me.

You can have 1 context active on one ACE and the other context active on the other ACE.

If you have 2 Vip, you can have 1 vip belonging to one context and the other vip belonging to the other context.

Like this, you split the traffic between the 2 devices which allows you to handle more traffic than what 1 device could normally do.

If one device can handle all your traffic, I prefer to only have 1 active unit and 1 standby.

Easier to implement and troubleshoot.

Gilles.

So taking your example, the two active contexts you have mentioned shall be part of two distinct fault-tolerant groups. Is it correct. Or could it be part of the same FT Group.

Regards.

You got it right.

They should be part of different FT groups.

One FT group should be active on one ACE module and other FT group should be made active on the second ACE module.

Syed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: