Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-AS Multicast VPN

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

Hi All,

Inter-AS Multicast VPN, does it possible with out configuring the MP-BGP MDT or Multicast address family?

regards

Devang Patel

14 Replies 14

cpubob
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you can use MSDP instead.

That is correct. It just takes away the possibility of using SSM for the default MDT. You will therefore need to setup ASM with either static RP, auto-RP or BSR in each AS and connect them using MSDP.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Guys,

Thanks for the reply, I did configure it with out BGP MDT or MULTICAST family, and used MSDP to get the each AS aware about MDT group ip configuration under vrf, now VPN comes up but the thing is when i tried to pass the traffic from one CE to other in different AS, It doesn't pass and on debug its showing me RPF fail... as I do have very simple topology of five router connected in a chain like

R1---R2---R3----R4---R5

R2/R3 is AS1

R4 is AS2

R1 and R5 are the CEs with same RT/RD...

Here there are no multiple path, so there should not be an issue for the RPF fail righ???

any idea why its happening!!!

regards

Devang Patel

Devang,

Try to narrow down on what the RPF issue is using the commands "show ip rpf" or "show ip rpf vrf".

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

one CE router show ip rpf for the remote network and sh ip rpf vrf on PE router for remote VRF route is showing me RPF fail...

regards

Devang Patel

Devang,

This would indicate that you are not advertising the address sourcing the multicast stream.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hritter,

If you are talking about the multicast source IP and there receiver IP address, that should be in the routing table of both the CE routers as well as PE vrf routing table, they yes they are there...

and even i have source address of the tunnel from PE to PE is the loopbacks of appropriate PEs and they are reachable from the respective AS...

regards

Devang Patel

Devang,

In a previous posting, you had mentioned that the debug messages are showing rpf errors. This is where you need to troubleshoot. What option do you use for InterAS, eBGP VPNv4 (10b) or IPv4 + label + VPNv4 multihop eBGP (10c)? If option 10b, you might need to use features such as connector attributes and PIM RPF vector, as explained in the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/iasmcvpn.html#wp1068527

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Yeah, I am using option 10B!!! so I will have to use PIM RPF vector right?

and any specific requirement for option 10C?

regards

Devang Patel

Devang,

Yes, you will have to configure the PIM RPF vector. The connector attribute is set automatically and therefore do not have to be configure explicitly.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

hi hritter

Thanks for telling this; Prior to this I was in dark.

:) regards

shivlu

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Devang

No it is not possible without the help of address family. I have tested inter-as MVPN in my lab with SSM, it works fine.

regards

shivlu

Hi shivlu,

I have the same problem as Devang meet. Actually I use MSDP peering and IP PIM sparse-mode to configure it to try to simulate inter-as MVPN lab. But I use AS2-CE ping AS1-CE(multicast-source). It is always showing the message with RPF fail. May I need to do more any configuration for complete it?

Brook,

If you use InterAS option 10b, you will need to configure the PIM RPF vector feature as described in the following document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/iasmcvpn.html

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: