Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 870 / SDM from scratch

mdujardin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I just re-install the IOS on my router (via XMODEM) - I now want to put SDM back on the box, but I can't connect to the router with the SDM installer? I can connect via HTTP/HTTPS to the router via it's default IP address (although the page it displays is just basic info) but when I try and connect via SDM installer it's not connecting?

What do I need to do?

Cheers,

M

39 Replies 39

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

M

Have you referenced this doc which starts with loading IOS and then loading and configuring SDM ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5318/prod_installation_guide09186a00803e4727.html#wp70999

Jon

Good document, looks like what I needed accept I missed a vital step and when I hot reload my router went back to ROMMON. I guess the image I copied up didn't copy in to FLASH. What do I need to do to make sure it does?

M

Do you know why it went to ROMMON. It may be that your image is in flash but your configuration register is wrong - it should be 0x2102.

Try boot the router from flash ie.

boot system flash flash:

Jon

I'm not sure why (sorry), I am now at ROMMOM 7, if I do DIR I get:-

flash[0]: (read-write)

The show flash command won't work?

try "dir flash"

Do you know the image name that you loaded onto the router ?

Jon

Yes, I have the image name.

c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-20.T1.bin

When I do dir flash I get:-

unable to stat flash/: permission denied

try

rommom> boot

if nothing

rommon> boot system flash flash:c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-20.T1

Let me know

Jon

Neither of those commands worked. :(

Where did you upload image to ??

Try this

rommon> confreg 2101

then try pervious boot commands in last post.

Jon

Well, when I copied the image I used this:-

xmodem -c c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-20.T1.bin

The image copied up OK and then I was able to configure the IOS and that's what I started to install SDM. At one point I rebooted it (power cycle) and then the image was no longer there.

Tried the 2101 it says "No bootable image file"

M

Okay, you said you missed an important step - what was that.

Also can you post the output of

rommon> list

Jon

Well, I'm not 100% sure the image was copied to FLASH, hence why when I power cycled the image was not there so it wouldn't boot. But I think doing confreg 0x2102 tells it to boot from FLASH ... No?

list does nothing, but ls gives me:-

List of filesystems currently registered:

flash[01]: (read/write)

Thanks for helping Jon - I'm learning a lot here :)

M

Yes - confreg 0x2102 tells it to boot from flash.

No bootable image sounds like we need to load another one. If you have a tftp server you can do this a lot quicker than xmodem. Here is a link to yes another doc :) for using tftp. Do you have a tftp server that you can use ?. If not i can zip a small one that will run on XP and post it here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/rommon.html#wp1020649

Jon

I have the SolarWinds TFTP Server on the same machine as I'm using to console in to the 870. I had some problems trying to connect to the server though, you have a better server?

Cheer,

M

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: