Multiple Aironet 1310 AP's / One Wirless Network / How To???

Unanswered Question
Oct 1st, 2008

I have been given six AiroNet 1310 access points and would like to create on one unified wireless network using some or all of them.

I am wondering what would be the best direction to start this. I assume they would have to be in some sort of "cluster" mode.

I guess whatever would be the easiest way to implement this would be what i am looking for.

The reason i need to do this is because it will be for a courthouse, we want to cover pretty much the entire building, (3 stories) and also outside.

Any suggestions, help, or how to do this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh and i know the AP's will need to get addresses from somewhere, so i planned to hook them into the existing network and give them static IP's, which is also where the network and internet parts come into play for the clients once this is up and running.

Thanks again.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
drolemc Tue, 10/07/2008 - 13:09

If you need to configure the access point/bridge locally (without connecting the access point/bridge to a wired LAN), you can connect a PC to the Ethernet port on the long-reach power injector using a Category 5 Ethernet cable. You can use a local connection to the power injector's Ethernet port much as you would use a serial port connection.

Make sure that the PC you intend to use is configured to obtain an IP address automatically, or manually assign it an IP address within the same subnet as the access point/bridge IP address. For example, if you assigned the access point/bridge an IP address of, assign the PC an IP address of

Step 1 Open your Internet browser. The wireless device web-browser interface is fully compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 on Windows 98, 2000, XP platforms, and with Netscape version 7.0 on Windows 98, 2000, XP, and Solaris platforms.

Step 2 Enter the wireless device's IP address in the browser address line and press Enter. An Enter Network Password screen appears.

Step 3 Press Tab to bypass the Username field and advance to the Password field.

Step 4 Enter the case-sensitive password Cisco and press Enter. The Summary Status page appears.

Step 5 Click Express Setup

Step 6 Enter the configuration settings you obtained from your system administrator

Step 7 Click Apply to save your settings.

Step 8 Click Network Interfaces to browse to the Network Interfaces Summary page.

Step 9 Click the radio interface to browse to the Network Interfaces: Radio Status page.

Step 10 Click the Settings tab to browse to the Settings page for the radio interface.

Step 11 Click Enable to enable the radio.

Step 12 Click Apply.

John Blakley Wed, 10/08/2008 - 12:51

Set up an infrastructure ssid under your ssid settings. This allows your client to switch between APs when it falls out of range with another.

This Discussion