cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

going from 12.3 to 12.4 on 1721 with Frame Relay

bob.bartlett
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to update a 1721 router from 12.3 12.4(16b) and their is a command in the frame realy Virtual-Template that gets dropped I think it doesn't matter but want to make sure. the command is the "ppp ipcp route default" below is the Virtual Template configuration. Any Thoughts...

interface Virtual-Template1

ip address negotiated

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

ppp chap hostname xxxxxxxxx

ppp chap password xxx

ppp ipcp dns request

ppp ipcp route default

ppp ipcp address accept

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Bob,

you are doing PPP over Frame-Relay.

first idea:

the command could be hidden by a change in defaults with the new release so you don't see it but it is still effective

second thought:

you can configure a default static route in global config using the virtual-template as outgoing interface to get a similar result

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/dial/command/reference/dia_p1.html#wp1014725

This command allows a PPP virtual template to dynamically add a default route pointing to the virtual access interface created by the virtual template.

A customer premises equipment (CPE) router with PPP over an ATM or Frame Relay connection can access the Internet without turning on any other routing.

So if you are providing a default route in another way or using any form of dynamic routing over the PPP link I agree it will not be a problem.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card