cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

going from 12.3 to 12.4 on 1721 with Frame Relay

bob.bartlett
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to update a 1721 router from 12.3 12.4(16b) and their is a command in the frame realy Virtual-Template that gets dropped I think it doesn't matter but want to make sure. the command is the "ppp ipcp route default" below is the Virtual Template configuration. Any Thoughts...

interface Virtual-Template1

ip address negotiated

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

ppp chap hostname xxxxxxxxx

ppp chap password xxx

ppp ipcp dns request

ppp ipcp route default

ppp ipcp address accept

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Bob,

you are doing PPP over Frame-Relay.

first idea:

the command could be hidden by a change in defaults with the new release so you don't see it but it is still effective

second thought:

you can configure a default static route in global config using the virtual-template as outgoing interface to get a similar result

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/dial/command/reference/dia_p1.html#wp1014725

This command allows a PPP virtual template to dynamically add a default route pointing to the virtual access interface created by the virtual template.

A customer premises equipment (CPE) router with PPP over an ATM or Frame Relay connection can access the Internet without turning on any other routing.

So if you are providing a default route in another way or using any form of dynamic routing over the PPP link I agree it will not be a problem.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card