cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 dot1q encapsulation configuration help

rshum
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2960 running IOS 12.2 (25r)SEE1, and trying to configure a trunk for dot1q encapsulation. It takes the following statements:

switchport trunk allowed vlan 100

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

I'm not sure why I can't change the encapsulation.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't need to change it because the 2960 only supports 802.1q ie. it does not support ISL.

So the "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" command is not available because it is not needed.

Jon

View solution in original post

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

If the L2 2960 is like the L2 2950 then the trunk is dot1q by default so you don't need to state it anyway as it can only do this and not ISL, it may not support ISL.

What are you trunking too? I normally force the trunk too my removing the "switchport nonegotiate"

Plz rate if useful

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't need to change it because the 2960 only supports 802.1q ie. it does not support ISL.

So the "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" command is not available because it is not needed.

Jon

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

If the L2 2960 is like the L2 2950 then the trunk is dot1q by default so you don't need to state it anyway as it can only do this and not ISL, it may not support ISL.

What are you trunking too? I normally force the trunk too my removing the "switchport nonegotiate"

Plz rate if useful

hi there, 

I had 3750G and 2960L, I have set encap to ISL in the 3750 , if 2960 do not support ISL, then Trunking would work between the 2 switches ?

Thanks for replying. 

rshum
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the replys I didn't realize ISL was removed from this model of switch LOL.

It's a L2 switch so if you were thinking of routing between the trunks using your 2960 then you would need a "router on a stick" scenario. Basically the router can control the intervlans and route you traffic between vlans etc, great if you don't have the cash but have a spare router.

Or just upgrade to L3 switch like a 3550, 3650 or 3750 if you can afford one.

Hope this is useful

Nope was just going to go L2 to a 3750 using a straight trunk. I have a separate router on site there to handle L3.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco