4510r-e arp

Unanswered Question
Oct 2nd, 2008

I would like to know why the 4510r-e installed on a customer only show few mac-ip. The switch has more than 300 ports installed.

I want do a show mac address-table and show arp to match the macs and know which ip is connected on each port.

Thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Jon Marshall Thu, 10/02/2008 - 14:05

Is the 4510 acting as a layer 3 or layer 2 device.

If layer 2 then you would expect to see a large mac-address table with 300 active ports but a small arp table. The majority of arp entries will be on the layer 3 devices responsible for routing the L2 vlans on the 4500.

If layer 3 then you would expect to see both a large mac-address and large arp table.

Jon

Jon Marshall Thu, 10/02/2008 - 14:12

Sounds like the 4500 is acting as a Layer 3 device then.

Are the 300 devices

i) active - because if they are not then their entries will time out of the arp and mac-address tables.

ii) within the vlans that you have SVI's for on the 4500.

Jon

Rafael Jimenez Thu, 10/02/2008 - 14:17

Acording with your firs answer , i believe the problem is that in this moment all PCs and other devices are using another device (a router) as default gateway.

I had to swap the ip address of the router and the svi in that vlan.

Despite I have several vlan created all servers, pcs, printers, etc.... are the same vlan,Im working on that becasue I has to reconfig several devices, routes, firewalls, etc before move pcs to others vlans.

Thanks.

Jon Marshall Thu, 10/02/2008 - 14:21

"i believe the problem is that in this moment all PCs and other devices are using another device (a router) as default gateway."

that would indeed explain a small arp table on the 4500.

Good luck with the move.

Jon

Actions

This Discussion