cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4510r-e arp

Rafael Jimenez
Level 4
Level 4

I would like to know why the 4510r-e installed on a customer only show few mac-ip. The switch has more than 300 ports installed.

I want do a show mac address-table and show arp to match the macs and know which ip is connected on each port.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the 4510 acting as a layer 3 or layer 2 device.

If layer 2 then you would expect to see a large mac-address table with 300 active ports but a small arp table. The majority of arp entries will be on the layer 3 devices responsible for routing the L2 vlans on the 4500.

If layer 3 then you would expect to see both a large mac-address and large arp table.

Jon

How I know it the 4510 actig?.

I have several SVI with ip routing enabled.

Sounds like the 4500 is acting as a Layer 3 device then.

Are the 300 devices

i) active - because if they are not then their entries will time out of the arp and mac-address tables.

ii) within the vlans that you have SVI's for on the 4500.

Jon

Acording with your firs answer , i believe the problem is that in this moment all PCs and other devices are using another device (a router) as default gateway.

I had to swap the ip address of the router and the svi in that vlan.

Despite I have several vlan created all servers, pcs, printers, etc.... are the same vlan,Im working on that becasue I has to reconfig several devices, routes, firewalls, etc before move pcs to others vlans.

Thanks.

"i believe the problem is that in this moment all PCs and other devices are using another device (a router) as default gateway."

that would indeed explain a small arp table on the 4500.

Good luck with the move.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco