Views
Helpful
Replies

Point to point wireless using 1310 and 1231 on each site

acabalona
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an implementation right now with wireless point to point bridging connection. I installed a 1310 with 24 dBi external antenna on one site and a 1231 AP/bridge with 24 dBi antenna on the other site. Has anyone of you tried this set-up. I have no problem with the connection and pinging is ok. However when I tested the throughput I only got 2Mbps in which the distance between the two sites is only 2 kms. I am hoping to have a throughput about 20 Mbps and up.

2 Replies 2

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

When you configure the AP radio, you must consider the type of clients that are present in the wireless network. If the AP has an 802.11g radio and the WLAN has only 802.11g clients, you can set one or more data rates to Basic and all other data rates to Enabled However, if you have a mixed environment of both 802.11b and 802.11g clients in a WLAN network, you must ensure that only the rates that 802.11b supports are set to Basic (or Require in GUI). If data rates that the 802.11b radio does not support (such as 12 Mbps) are set to Basic on the AP radio, the 802.11b clients are not able to associate to the AP.

Alternatively, you can configure the AP radio to select data rates on the basis of range or throughput. When you configure the AP radio to select data rates for range, the AP sets the lowest data rate to Basic and the other rates to Enabled. In this way, the AP can cover a wider area. However, the data rate comes down as the distance from the AP to the client increases. If you configure the AP radio for throughput, the AP sets all data rates to Basic. This configuration ensures a consistent throughput throughout the coverage area.

Yes you're right. However, my set-up right now is not for access point but for bridging. I used the 1231 AP/bridge not for an AP role but for bridge role. I used 1231 on one site and used 1310 bridge on the other site. When set data rates into default the throughput I got is only 2 Mbps. I tried setting it to best throughput and got a throughput lower than 2 Mbps. Theoritically, I believe I should be getting a 20 Mbps throughput since the distance is only 2 kms.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card