cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port blocked

slandeira
Level 1
Level 1

The problem has occurred when it had restarted several times a machine connected to a port in one of a switches and suddenly has stopped answering PING this machine(although is up, recognizes MAC, etc). The same has already happened in a couple of occasions and has been solved by restarting the switch, but now we can not do it. Make a shutdown / no shutdown of the port does not solve the problem.

The switch is a WS-C3560-48TS and the version you have installed a 12.2 (35) SE5.

Anybody knows that it can be happening?

9 Replies 9

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

What is causing the port to block? Have you tried to configure the err-disable settings in the switch?

HTH>

that's what I do not know ... The port is connected to machine restarts several times, are scheduled reboots, and at the end apparently the port is fine, up / up, shows the MAC for this port, but we can not do a ping to that machine, and if we put a PC on your site neither works... the port is "blocked"...

We haven't configured err-disable, but I do not see that it can solve here.

When you cannot ping the machine - can the maching ping the mgmnt IP address of the switch?

Can it ping the default gateway of the layer 3 routing device for that IP Subnet?

Yes, if we tried to do the ping from both sides, from the pc, and from the network.

Did it work?

No, it does not work. That is why I say that although it seems that this up / up does not work, it is "silly"

then you could have 1 on the below 3 things or all of them:-

1) Faulty cable

2) Faulty switch port

3) Faulty server NIC.

HTH>

you may check if this interface is associated correctly to a VLAN and it is receiving a dynamic IP from a DHCP server. also, make sure your router's LAN interface (connected to the switch) has the ip helper-address configured.

rpimparkar
Level 1
Level 1

try unblocking port usin cisco network assistent. This might help u out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: