cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks client telnet to the Network device, not the Server

ahajivandi
Level 1
Level 1

I have always kept my mind on this question that, why CiscoWorks LMS does not initiate a telnet/ssh from the server itself, but from client system!? However, Device center manage to initiate snmpwalk, traceroute and ping from the server itself.

Could be an enhancement for the 3.2 or 3.3? It makes me happy:-)

Regards,

-Aryan

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The reason the telnet is initiated from the client is that we simply use telnet:// as our URL handler. We rely on the client browser to handle that. The reason for this is that most customers tell us they are tired of client-sided Java. We could easily have done a server-sided telnet (even SSH), and made an applet communicate with that. However, we got loads of feedback asking us to remove Java.

Now, in the age of AJAX and Web 2.0+, it might be possible to rethink this with Javascript. I haven't heard of any plans, but I know we are going to be doing a lot more AJAX in LMS in future releases.

Thank you for your answer. But, from the security point of view telnet-ing from the Server to device is much desired, like the other NCM software (e.g. Opsware). Hopefully will CWLMS implements likewise:-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco