cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to TFTP the running config from a 6500 running CATOS

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6506 with Supe 2. Trying to copy off the running config to my TFTP server. Used command "copy config tftp all" then responded with the IP address of the TFTP server and confirmed that I wanted the name to be myswitch.cfg

I then got a series of output lines with periods.

After 7 partial screen lines of dots, I go the message that there was no reponse from host. I watched my TFTP server and there was no activity (no attempts to connect, no failures).

Exact messages:

No reponse from host.

TFTP connection fail(-1)

file tftp:myswitch.cfg cannot be opened for write (TFTP write error)

Cannot write buffer to file

Cannot copy from config: to tftp:myswitch.cfg

I confirmed via ping that the CAT 6506 as able to reach the TFTP server

Jeff

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jeff

You don't say what tftp server you are using. If it is a unix variant then you may have to create the file on the tftp server first as an empty file.

If it isn't unix then check for a firewall on your tftp server machine.

Jon

3CDaeomn on a windows box. Dont believe anything is wrong witht he TFTP server as I was able to copy off the ocnfigs from 16 other routers and switches (2600 and 3550) with no problems - just going from box to box. Only box that gave me an issue was the 6505 running CAT0s

Has to be something with the tftp server if you can ping it . We have a lot of catos boxes and have no problem saving to a unix tftp server. I use a little different syntax which is "write net all" but I believe it is the same as your copy command just a different way of doing it . In unix you do have to create the file first and open up the permissions .

Some tftp servers can bomb out with large configs. I'm not familiar with the one you are using but i have attached a link to a recent thread i was involved in where i uploaded a copy of the tftp server i use which has always worked for me. Perhaps if you give that a try.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&topicID=.ee71a04&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cc1f916/14#selected_message

Jon

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

isn't there any FW between your switch and TFTP server?

BR,

Milan

no firewalls at all

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card