cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to TFTP the running config from a 6506 running CAT)S

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6506 with Supe 2. Trying to copy off the running config to my TFTP server. Used command "copy config tftp all" then responded with the IP address of the TFTP server and confirmed that I wanted the name to be myswitch.cfg

I then got a series of output lines with periods.

After 7 partial screen lines of dots, I go the message that there was no reponse from host. I watched my TFTP server and there was no activity (no attempts to connect, no failures).

Exact messages:

No reponse from host.

TFTP connection fail(-1)

file tftp:myswitch.cfg cannot be opened for write (TFTP write error)

Cannot write buffer to file

Cannot copy from config: to tftp:myswitch.cfg

I confirmed via ping that the CAT 6506 as able to reach the TFTP server

Jeff

21 Replies 21

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Jeff,

is your tftp server setup correctly? what tftp server are you using? is the machine the tftp server is running running a firewall? what tftp server are you running - I use a great one 3CDaemon from 3com

http://support.3com.com/software/utilities_for_windows_32_bit.htm

HTH>

Andrew - I guess I should have added that to my description. Yes, the TFTP server is setup and functioning correctly. I also am using 3CDaeom. I was cpying off the configs of my home lab as I setup to work labs for CCIE voice. I have 16 routers and switches (2600 and 3550s). I was able to copy the configs off every one except the 6506 running CATOS. All were going to the same TFTP server setup the same way. I just went from one box to the next.

From the switch - are you able to ping the tftp server? when you initiate the tftp connection from the switch, in the tftp server do you see the connection attempt?

HTH>

Yes, I can ping the TFTP server from the switch and no, there is no indication in the TFTP server that the switch is attempting a connection

Yes, I can ping the TFTP server from the switch and no, there is no indication in the TFTP server that the switch is attempting a connection

Jeff,

Not sure about CatOS, but in IOS there is a command "ip tftp source-interface (interface)" which we usually set to be a management loopback address. Could it be that your switch is trying to connect from an address which has no route back to your TFTP server? This could explain why ping works but TFTP doesn't.

Worth a shot, I will give it a try when I get home tonight

no similar command in CATOS

What is the command you are actually using to try and copy the config off?

Andrew - its up in my original posting

"copy config tftp all" and then I respond to the queries for IP address and confirm the filename of myswitch.cfg

but is your config name actually myswitch.cfg? can you post the output of "dir" ?

Andrew, at work now. Will take a look when I get home

Andrew - the only thing listed when I do a "dir" is one entry. That entry is the bin file of the OS. No entry for any config file

So there is your problem, if you do not have a config file - you can't tftp it!

HTH>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: