cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do i connect WEP and a WPA-PSK client to 1240AP

intermax1
Level 1
Level 1

I have wireless terminals that can only support 128bit Wep, but new clients support WPA-PSK. I need some help to get both clients to connect to 1242 AP's concurrently. Both clients have currently different SSID but there is no security restrictions once connected to network.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

2 Replies 2

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

You'll need to create two SSIDs that each have different encryption methods. You'll also need to create two separate VLANs, one for each SSID.

1. Using the GUI, go to Services -> VLANs (using the menu on the left) and create your two VLANs. Be sure to check whichever one is your native.

2. Go to Security -> SSID Manager and create your two SSIDs there. Be sure to assign each one to a VLAN using the drop-down box. Scroll down and click "apply" (the one that's not ALL the way at the bottom).

3. Go to Security -> Encryption Manager to set the security for each VLAN/SSID. For WEP, select WEP Mandatory and enter the key on this page. For WPA, select Cipher - AES CCMP + TKIP (unless you only want one or the other). You won't set the key on this page, so simply click "apply".

4. Go back to the SSID Manager and select your WPA profile. Scroll a ways down and you'll see "Client Authenticated Key Management". Enter the WPA key here, select WPA and Mandatory, and scroll down to click "apply" again.

I hope that helps! Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Hi Jeff

All the above works as you have described, with only the following happening on the WPA client.

Mar 1 15:47:51.040 Information Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station 0013.ce1c.c522 Reason: Sending station has left the BSS

Mar 1 15:47:02.940 Information Interface Dot11Radio0, Station ap 0013.ce1c.c522 Associated KEY_MGMT[WPA PSK]

Connection is maintained for about 10 seconds, i did not set any other parameters from there default values. Any ideas, Key rotation?

Thanks

Wayne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card