cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic Back up Configuration Files

krhashbarger
Level 1
Level 1

I know there is commands to make a Kron job on a router to backup the configuration every day, week or month. Is there a way to do the automatic backup every month, but each time specify that it change the end of the file name to the date that it is doing the backup?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I'm afriad the "maximum" works only if you save the files to the router Flash, not to an FTP server.

Using archive

write-memory

together with

path ftp:...

you can automatically save your config to your FTP server any time you save your running config into the start-up one.

This way you'll keep all config versions on your FTP server (the file name will end with -xx = version number.)

BR,

Milan

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Gerald Vogt
Level 3
Level 3

A good place to start may be here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t7/feature/guide/gtrollbk.html

See also the Configuration Fundamentals Configuration Guide.

The only thing about that command is you can not specify a max number for configurations to save on a network resource.

You can set a number with 'maximum'. But I more thought of this as a way to get the configuration down from the router whenever you make a change. On the server you are free to do whatever you like with those copies. You can setup a cron job there.

The thing is I want to prevent as much interaction with the server as possible. If I did everything from the router, it would be just one place that has to be taken care of instead of two.

Hi,

I'm afriad the "maximum" works only if you save the files to the router Flash, not to an FTP server.

Using archive

write-memory

together with

path ftp:...

you can automatically save your config to your FTP server any time you save your running config into the start-up one.

This way you'll keep all config versions on your FTP server (the file name will end with -xx = version number.)

BR,

Milan

adam
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on what your end goal is, you may be more interested in something like RANCID. RANCID monitors router configurations and keeps a history (CVS or Subversion) of changes.

This was particularly helpful in my company where we had many automated and manual changes being made frequently.

I have Cisco LMS 3.1 that does the configuration backup. But my company wants me to have another backup that is done from the router or switch or what ever cisco device. I know that you can schedule backups. I think I will have to do the backup and then use windows to automatically change the file name extension to the date.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card