Summary command of switchport counters

Answered Question
Oct 6th, 2008

I am looking for a command that will show me a summary of port usage. What we are running into is we are trying to identify ports that have had usage on them over the last month. We have issued a clear counters to clear input/output traffic and now we want to go back and see if any of those ports have had any traffic on them over the last month. Instead of issuing a show int x/y and viewing the counters is there another command that could give me a summary of all ports and if there has been any traffic?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by RicheeJJJ_2 about 8 years 1 month ago

Hey. Good question. I can't think of any command that does this. But why not try something like this:

sh int | include (FastEthernet|packets input)

Overall Rating: 4.7 (3 ratings)
u0087672js Mon, 10/06/2008 - 06:47

Just a show interface with no x/y will show you all ports and their traffic stats.

hostname#show interface

Correct Answer
RicheeJJJ_2 Mon, 10/06/2008 - 06:49

Hey. Good question. I can't think of any command that does this. But why not try something like this:

sh int | include (FastEthernet|packets input)

mattcalderon Mon, 10/06/2008 - 07:07

Perfect!! We have a couple of different platforms ranging from 29xx to 37xx...

I ended up using

sh int | inc Fa|packets input

Thanks!

glen.grant Mon, 10/06/2008 - 06:59

If its a 4500 series switch you use "show interfaces link" and this will show you what you are looking for . Why they haven't ported this command to the other platforms I don't know, it does come in handy once in awhile.

Actions

This Discussion