Views
Helpful
Replies

QPM vs 3750/3560

bdube
Level 2
Level 2

Hi everyone,

We are implementing CB-QoS in our network based on L3 switches 3750 & 3560. We are planning to take advantage of the Shaped Round Robin functionnalities of those equipement. Traffics will be identified at the edge & marked with DSCP codes which will permit specific treatment along the paths.

LAN interfaces will be configured 1P3Q3T & priority queue & share the last three queues.

WAN interfaces (LAN-EXT or Optical Ethernet 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps) will be configure 1P3Q3T or 4Q3T depending if we must respect a SLA from our provider. For example, we can have a 1G link but a 200 Mbps sustain SLA bandwidth. As, we don't want our provider to drop our packets because we peak over this sustain SLA and we will apply shaping to the 4 queues (4Q3T) to respect the SLA, or bandwidth limit globally to the interface.

Here comes QPM:

1- We want QPM to help define class-map and associated ACL to identified traffics (and mark DSCP codes), in both directions of a communication. Is it possible?

2- We want QPM to configure QoS interface parameters (priority queue, srr-queue bandwidth shape, srr-queue bandwidth share, srr-queue bandwidth limit) Is it possible?

3- We want QPM to globally map DSCP codes (mls qos srr-queue output dscp-map queue {1-4} threshold {1-3} dscp-code) to specific queue, threshold & DSCP code. This one seems not supported by QPM based on Appendix F of QPM user guide. Am I right that it's not supported? If it's right, this means DSCP-based QoS network in 3750/3560 environment isn't manageable with QPM.

4- We hope to be able to monitor CB-QoS but it seems that 3750/3560 don't support CB-QoS MIB. Is it true? Is there a plan to support this MIB in a near future.

5- We hope to be able to monitor queues individually, is it possible ? Note: Port QoS MiB seems to haven't variables for that.

6- NBAR. Since NBAR isn't supported on 3750/3560 switches, I understand that monitoring at the application level isn't possible in our case. Right? Is there an alternative?

Regards,

Ben

2 Replies 2

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

Yes you can use QPM as Independent QoS Monitoring means QPM will monitor a device's interfaces using the CISCO-CLASS-BASED-QOS MIB and/or the CISCO-CAR MIB, even when the policies on the interfaces are not configured and deployed by QPM.This allows you to monitor policies configured via other mechanisms.

The monitoring workflow for QPM 4.0 will provide an object selector with devices and monitorable interfaces, for easy launch of real-time charts.

Here is the user guide for the QPM for the further description. I hope it may help you :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_qos_policy_manager/4.0.3/user/guide/KKint.html

Also refer the configuration guide for the QPM for the 3750

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_qos_policy_manager/3.2.3/user/guide/KKRcli.html

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, but these documents were at the origin of my questions.

I just try to confirm my understanding of them.

Ben

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: