cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does Unity populate the "From field" when e-mailing thru Exchange

sdavids5670
Level 2
Level 2

The reason why I'm asking this question is because a user recently changed names (due to marriage) and when she leaves a voice message for another user in the system, the user receives an e-mail that lists the caller's old name in the "From" field but the new name in the "Subject" field. So, for example, the header looks like this:

Sent: Monday, October 6th, 2008 10:05 AM

To: Recipient

Subject: Message from married name (xxxx)

At first I was thinking along the lines that they must have 2 SMTP addresses defined for the user and that Unity was grabbing the old SMTP address because it as still set as primary . They do have 2 SMTP addresses but the new SMTP address is set as Primary. So my question is how does Unity go about deciding what to stuff in the 'From' field? Is it an SMTP address? Is it some other type of address native to Exchange 2003? If it is the SMTP address, is it always the primary? Does it randomly pick?

4 Replies 4

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check the Last Name and Display Name fields in AD. I'm guessing one of these is incorrect.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Brandon,

Thanks for the recommendation. The last name and display name fields are correct in Active Directory. The name is also correct in Unity. Is it possible that the old info is being cached somewhere on the Unity server?

Interesting. I'm not sure where this would be cached. It might be worth a restart of Unity and Exchange. You could also use the \commserver\techtools\dohproptest.exe tool. The password is (100-month)(month + day). Click AD Monitor > Total Resynch. You'll want to do this during off hours.

Brandon

Hi -

This could be an Outlook issue on the receiving end. Try this step from Microsoft to clear the recipient cache from the receiver's Outlook - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011240661033.aspx?pid=CL100626971033

Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: