cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME job for Mass Hostname Changes

jabeck018
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to create an RME job to do mass hostname changes so all our network equipment complies with our naming convention. Does anyone had an example of how to create this job using RME or if this can even be done?

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The part where the actual hostname is changed on the device can easily be done using RME. You will need to create a parameterized Netconfig template for this (under RME > Config Mgmt > Netconfig > User-defined Tasks). For example, your template would look like:

hostname $hostName

Then, your parameterized command file would look like:

deviceA

deviceB

More about creating Netconfig parameterized templates can be found in the context-sensitive help once you launch the User-defined Task workflow.

Thank you Joe.

So this appears to be a static file that I would have to manually generate, like this:

68109.ROUTER

And so on, for all 175 devices I want to change?

There is not a way to declare values and call those values via a script? Or maybe something like set hostname = device name?

If not, the above method is better than logging into each device and manually setting the hostname.

Thank you!

but this RME job doesn't update the DCR with the new hostname (even after a RME inventory update and CM Data collection) How to solve this?

No, this will not update DCR. That update would have to be done manually.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: