cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to communicate betweent two servers, need to run ping after 5 mins

shirwaziri1_2
Level 1
Level 1

We are having a slight problem with the connection between one of our servers and it communicating on another server.

It seems that the connection between the 2 host devices is timing out It seems to resolve this, we can simply ping from the 172.34.0.34 server but this is not something we want to do every 5 mins for ever.

Although the server blocks echo reply from their server, we have temporarily setup a cron job in our server to ping (with timeouts) every hour to put a temp fix in place. However, this is only a band aid for the time out problem as creating a cron job is not the best solution for this trouble.

Can you please help me investigate this issue. Has anyone have had the same problem?

2 Replies 2

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Shir,

I'm afraid we will need to know more about your environment.

Having scarce information I can only make a supposition:

The traffic between the 2 servers is unidirectional for more than 5 minutes, this is why the switch clears the mac-address of the receiving server from its mac-address-table (5 minutes is the default aging time for mac-addresses).

When you ping from this server to the sending server, an arp request is issued that makes the switch relearn the mac-address of the receiving server.

From then on the communication works for 5 minutes and the process repeats.

If this is the situation then one solution could be to configure a static mac-address for the receiving server on the switch port and vlan where it is connected.

Cheers:

Istvan

lreger
Level 1
Level 1

Would it matter that his internet network is 172.34.x.x

The private ip ranges are 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x

Have you turned off the power managament setting on your NIC cards?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card