Views
Helpful
Replies

Security vs performance

karlrussell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't see an answer when I searched.

I have a Cisco 3005 Concentrator with 64MB RAM. I am intending to use only Cisco VPN software and hardware clients with X.509 certificates. I have successfully tested IPSEC connections using the following configuration:

Authentication Mode: RSA Digital Certificates (XAUTH)

Authentication Algorithm: SHA/HMAC-160

Encryption Algorithm: AES-256

Diffie-Hellman Group: Group 5 (1536 bits)

Obviously this is good security-wise (could it be any stronger?) however I wonder what the performance implications are of using HMAC with SHA1 and AES-256 on the 3005 range are? I don't envisage us ever having more than about 50 concurrent tunnels, certainly no more than the 200 which are supposedly supported with 64MB RAM. I also intend to configure load balancing once I have upgraded our other 3005 to 64MB RAM.

Any advice you could give on recommended configuration for performance versus security would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Karl

1 Reply 1

sadbulali
Level 4
Level 4

The configuration you have mentioned is a good one and it will be effective and strong.The Cisco VPN Client supports these IPSec attributes:

•Authentication Algorithms:

ESP-MD5-HMAC-128

ESP-SHA1-HMAC-160

•Authentication Modes:

Preshared Keys

X.509 Digital Certificates

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: