DHCP client is not working in 831 cisco router

Unanswered Question
Oct 7th, 2008

HI ,

I am having Cisco 871 router ISP is suggesting to put WAN interface is in DHCP mode So I have configured the IP address dhcp client ID in WAN ( fe/4 ). I am getting ip address and internet was fine after two day the internet is went down.

I have removed the configuration from WAN interface and I put it back that time the link is up and running. I have faced this same issue on three time. Please any on help on this

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
thiru.vel10 Wed, 10/08/2008 - 11:56

WAN interface

interface FastEthernet4

description $ES_WAN$

ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet4

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

duplex auto

speed auto

IP router 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fastethernet4

johnakeating Thu, 10/09/2008 - 23:54

get ride of the client ID unless that is something that was assigned to you.

ip address dhcp

John

thiru.vel10 Fri, 10/10/2008 - 09:32

I have tried that command but still I am having the same problem.

Thiru

John Blakley Fri, 10/10/2008 - 09:40

Is this a PPPoE account? Can you post your config, and a debug of dhcp?

thiru.vel10 Fri, 10/10/2008 - 10:17

Already i have posted the configuration .

Hi,

I am using cisco 871 router, modem is directly connected to Cisco router wan interface, modem in bridge mode and I am putting DHCP mode in router wan interface. So IP address is getting from ISP and I am able to access the internet. That IP is mapped with my router WAN interface MAC address. But some time I am not able to get the IP address that time I am just removing and revert the config , after that I am getting IP address. My observation is some time router is not sending the request to ISP ? here with I am attaching the configuration for your reference

WAN interface

interface FastEthernet4

description $ES_WAN$

ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet4

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

duplex auto

speed auto

IP router 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fastethernet4

John Blakley Fri, 10/10/2008 - 10:20

The only thing that I can tell you is that if it works after you remove and reapply the config is that you should run debugs on dhcp. I would try to leave the config, close and open the interface (shut/no shut), and see if you get an address again.

Check your cables too. We've seen some weird things happen with a flaky cable.

thiru.vel10 Fri, 10/10/2008 - 21:46

Hi have checked cable and I replaced the cable with new one. But I didn't ran the command Debug DHCP. Let me run and let you know. I have tried the command shut and no shut no luck same state only .

thiru.vel10 Mon, 10/13/2008 - 08:30

Hi,

One thing I want to share with you all. Wan interface status showing up after disconnecting the cable …. ..

Actions

This Discussion