cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

verifing Internet routes on BGP router

tporembski
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to verify that my BGP(internet) internet connected router is getting all the internet routes it should be getting?

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should be able to run:

sh ip bgp neig

sh ip route bgp

Others know more about BGP than I do, but these are the basic commands to see if you have a neighbor configured, and then to see if you're BGP routes are showing up in your routing table. They'll be marked with a "B."

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

thank you but I was probably to vague in my qiestion. I understand how to see BGP neighbors and view BGP routes in the routing table I was more concerned with being able to verify that I was getting all the routes from my ISP. Now that I look at it more closely I am not sure there is any way other than seeing the total route counts and if it is in 100K+ range assume I am getting all internet routes.

thanks

In fact, it's more in the 250K+ range than in the 100K. If you only have ~100K routes, you are missing more than half the internet.

I think your provider is feeding your router with "customer routes", i.e., its own routes plus their clients'.

Hello,

You can use the "sh ip bgp sum" command to view quickly an approximate total number of routes received from your ISP.

Sample output:

Neighbor V AS MsgRcvd MsgSent TblVer InQ OutQ Up/Down State/PfxRcd

4 1618700 129642 11697332 0 0 2w6d 265990

The value under the "State/PfxRcd" column shows how many prefixes you have received over an established session with your peer (~265990 now).

Check out the website: http://bgp.potaroo.net/ for current status of the Internet Routing Table.

Kind Regards,

M.

Hello Mari,

good answer and good link too

Best Regards

Giuseppe

great link, thanks for the information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card