cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many users AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 will support?

shankar1023
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am in littel confusion that the AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 AP limitations. I need 25 users to connect anohter network via this AP. Please suggest me how many users it will support and if you have relative documents please share it with me.

Thanks,

Shankar.

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That number depends on what applications that the users will be using. 25 should be okay if email and web browsing is the majority of traffic. Cisco's general rule of thumb is 7-8 voice client per AP and 15 to 25 data clients, but again this is not a hard set number. Remember the ap is hub and transmission is only half duplex.... This should give you a good starting point.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Do you know if these numbers are per RF interface(25 for the A radio and 25 for the B/G radio) or is this a limitation of the processing power of the AP itself?

That's per interface. The AP has plenty of processing power and it handles encryption via hardware, so it's hard to bog down its CPU. The main concern is the wireless overhead that's incurred by having so many clients in one airspace. As Fella said, this is a hub and half-duplex environment, and this is on a per-radio basis.

As per theory, 802.11B supports only 11 mbps with three channels and you can access it even if you are 110 feets from the AP, where in 802.11 A/G will give 54 Mpbs but you can access it only up to 20 feet from the AP.

It is possible to buy 5dbi AP's so that 100 users can access it with avg. of 12 mbbs??

Look at it this way....

54mbps / 2 = 27mbps average throughput for a single user. For every user divide that in half. Access points are half duplex.

-Scott

Can u exactly tell me how many user AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 will support?

There is no solid number. Cisco recommends 15 - 25 per radio. If you have users streaming music or doing huge file transfers, there goes your bandwidth. If you have scanners that doesn't transfer large amount of data, you can have a lot ok one radio. So again, look at the applications that will be using the wireless.

-Scott

The users will connect to other networks by VPN & work remotely from this office & also obivously surf, in this case will it accomadate 25 users?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: