Procedures to get the replacement from Cisco for the diffective items.

Unanswered Question
Oct 8th, 2008
User Badges:


I found 3560 switch bought just 3 month before defective. I need to get the replacement from Cisco. Pl let me know that where should I get the required form to fill in and get the replacement.


  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Wed, 10/08/2008 - 03:38
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

  • Cisco Designated VIP,

    2017 LAN, WAN


You have not indicated from whom you bought the 3560 switch and the answer would be different depending on that. If you bought the switch directly from Cisco then you could go to and on the main page there is a tab for Support. In that tab is a pull down menu with an item for Open a Service Request. This is how you would initiate a request for replacement if you bought directly from Cisco.

If you bought the 3560 from a reseller then you need to contact the reseller and deal with them about replacement. If you bought the 3560 from Ebay or some other private sale then I am not sure that you have a good option for replacement.




This Discussion