Views
Helpful
Replies

Extension Mobility Redundancy

mymite060708
Level 1
Level 1

I have CM verison 6.12,

the cisco docs say this can now support Extension Mobility Redundancy. How exactly does this work? DO I have to configure the EM service on both my CMs and set an ordered list? or have two EM services (one for each of the CMS) or do you have to use SLB on a router?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tim.giles
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You've obviously read the documentation on the SLB.

I've never configured it but the easiest and quickest way of configuring redundancy for phone services is to create an additional IP phone service pointing to another server in the cluster which can be used by everyone to switch over in the event of server/EM failure.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

tim.giles
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You've obviously read the documentation on the SLB.

I've never configured it but the easiest and quickest way of configuring redundancy for phone services is to create an additional IP phone service pointing to another server in the cluster which can be used by everyone to switch over in the event of server/EM failure.

Hi,

Following is what I found some time back. never dealt with it -

Option A:

1. Bind a hostname 'A' record entry for all the callmanager nodes IP's in DNS.

2. Point URL service in Enterprise Parameter to the hostname.

3. Change URL for IP phone service to the hostname configured.

4. Press Services button on IP phone to invoke services url from Publisher to check if DNS is functioning correctly.

5. Shutdown Callmanager and Extension Mobility services on Publisher.

6. Press again Services button on IP phone and this time phone will send request to hostname in URL which will resolves to other subscriber IP address.

7. After hostname to IP address resolution is done, phone will receive EM service profile and users will successfully get registered.

Option B:

1. Point URL service in Enterprise Parameter to the virtual IP configured in 6500 switch.

2. Configure this Virtual IP pointing to all the servers IP.

3. Select the Algorithm based upon the discussion with CSC/Cisco

4. Press Services button on IP phone to invoke services url from Publisher to check if SLB is functioning correctly.

5. Shutdown Call-manager and Extension Mobility services on Publisher.

6. Press again Services button on IP phone and this time phone will send request to Virtual IP in URL which will be translated to other subscriber IP address.

7. After Virtual IP to real IP address resolution is done, phone will receive EM service profile and users will successfully get registered.

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: